As slow cooker meals go, this is definitely a family favorite!
It may not be the most colorful meal, but don’t let that deter you from trying it, or you’ll be missing out! It’ll likely become a favorite of your families as well. It is creamy, rich, and so delicious, with the tender flavorful chicken chunks, and a rich cream cheese based sauce with mushrooms. It’s a perfect slow cooker meal, that is easy to make, and makes the house smell wonderful! All slow cooker meals are fabulous in the colder months. But really, we are happy to make it & eat it year round! It’s that good. Everything we eat in the warmer months, can’t be cold food. Right? There are days year-round, that we need something super easy, super good, and ready at dinner time! So you get it going in the morning, and there is little to do before sitting down to eat. This is one of those meals, and I got the recipe from one of my favorite slow cooker cookbooks:
You can click on the cookbook photo, to see where you can get it for yourself.
Here’s how easy it is to make this creamy, rich & delicious dinner, with such tender chicken chunks! Most times, we double this recipe below, and have plenty left-overs another time or 2!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 envelope dry Italian salad dressing mix
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
- *10-3/4 oz. can cream of chicken soup
- *(When we double recipe, the 2nd can of soup we use is cream of celery)
- 4 oz. can of mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2-3/4 1lb.bag of wide egg noodles
1) Place chicken breast halves in slow cooker
2) Combine dry salad dressing mix and water. Pour over chicken.
3) Cover. Cook on low for 3 hours.
3a) As soon as the chicken is cooked through, if we’re home, I break up the chicken breasts into chunks, and return to the pot, so it can absorb the seasoned liquids. (I’ve just broken it up while in the pot, with a wooden spatula too. The chicken is so tender, it’s no problem. Just be sure you’re not damaging the bottom of your pot.)
4) Combine cream cheese and soup until blended. Stir in the mushrooms. Pour over chicken, and mix it up.
5) **Cover, and cook 1 more hour.
**Note: If the chicken was cut into chunks much earlier, and so you are sure it is cooked through, it is ready as soon as all of the cheese & soup is heated, smooth and blended together.
6) While the slow cooker contents is in it’s remaining time, cook egg noodles according to the package directions.
Serve the Chicken Italiano over hot egg noodles, and enjoy.
Be prepared to serve seconds. : P