Is there anything more invigorating than the fresh scent of lemon? Today I am not only going to share with you what I have learned about lemon essential oil, and the some of the many benefits this oil offers, but also give you a printable list of 25 awesome ways that you can use lemon essential oil for your health, wellness and household!
Let me start with a crazy confession that I can hardly believe myself anymore. I used to not like lemon-anything. It really wasn’t until I experienced the purity of real lemon essential oil, that I fell right in love with the essence of lemon. I surprised myself, in a big way!
It turns out that real lemon oil is completely different than the synthetic scents and flavors I had become accustomed to, and didn’t much appreciate before. The experiences I had with lemon were with all-too-many things artificial: from flavorings to perfume-y air fresheners to cleaners to cough drops. And because I didn’t care for those lemony-things, I certainly avoided any REAL lemons.
Until one day, lemon essential oils just came with 2 others in a trio that I had ordered. I couldn’t imagine what I’d do with that one. But I started using (and really loving!) the other 2, for so many things. So it prompted me one day to open the lemon one, and smell it. I was intrigued from the first whiff! It was….beyond pleasant. Unexpectedly so. In fact, I loved the smell! But what could it DO for me? I wanted to know more.
So what does make it so different? Well I’ve learned that lemon essential oil is cold-pressed from the rinds of lemons, to protect the fragile nature and potent properties of the oils. The health benefits alone, of lemon essential oil are impressive. Did you know that the properties of lemon essential oils are:
I head heard there were many other uses for lemon essential oil as well, and suddenly, I was interested in finding out what they were! I was excited to use the bottle of lemon! I have since learned and regularly used my lemon essential oil in so many ways.
So let’s talk about some specific ways that lemon essential oil can enhance the health and joy your family’s every day life!
Essential lemon oil is powerfully aromatic. It’s scent is fresh, clean and invigorating. Diffusing it purifies the air in your home or other environment while uplifting moods and giving you energy, and is known to promote health and healing.
It’s also fascinating to know that some essential oils, including lemon, can act as gentle stimulants to the limbic system of the brain by their scent, increasing alertness and concentration, enhancing the capacity for learning, improving memory, and assisting many other cognitive functions. Some other essential oils that offer these benefits are Peppermint, Rosemary and Melissa. To help increase these functions simply inhale the chosen essential oil directly from the bottle or put a drop on a tissue and keep in your pocket for use throughout the day.
TOPICALLY and *INTERNALLY:
Essential lemon oil can also be used for many purposes topically, and can work wonders internally with the digestive, immune, and respiratory systems, promoting healthy function in the body.
Furthermore, it is has big cleaning power in every little drop, as a non-toxic, disinfectant surface cleaner for your whole house.
Here are just 25 Ways You Can Use Lemon Essential Oil for your Health, Wellness and Household:
1. Drink & Detox – By adding just 1-2 drops of lemon essential oils to your glass of ice water, you add antioxidants that help your cleansing organs perform at their optimal level, ridding your body of toxins and flushing out your system. Not only does it add a zip to your boring plain water, it lifts your spirits, and your energy. And no calories!
2. Brighten Your Complexion – With it’s anti bacterial, antiseptic, astringent qualities, lemon essential oil is a great ingredient to use for brightening a dull complexion, by applying to the face with another carrier oil such as grapeseed or jojoba. Or, consider making a facial scrub by combining a few of drops of lemon oil, a few drops of a carrier oil (grapeseed, almond, jojoba, coconut, olive) with a teaspoon of sugar. (Important to note: It’s suggested to test a small area of your skin before applying alone all over, as it may bother some sensitive skin. If so, add carrier oil immediately. Also, avoid sunlight on skin where applied for 12 after using an citrus oil on the skin.)
3. Hair Highlighting – Skip the expensive salon, and add some new highlights to your hair yourself. Comb a bit of lemon essential oil through selected chunks , and go hang out in the sun. But be careful, it really works! So keep checking for the desired brightness, and wash it out thoroughly when you’re pleased with the results.
4. Toothbrush Refresher – Soak your toothbrush in a mug with some water and a drop or 2 of lemon essential oil, to disinfect and refreshen your toothbrush, about once a week. Or, add a drop directly to your toothbrush.
5. Diffuse for Multiple Benefits – By using lemon essential oil in a diffuser, you are purifying the air while helping lift moods, physical energy, and aiding in mental clarity and alertness. Now that’s multi-tasking! Also aids in alleviating stress, depression and anxiety.
6. Soothe throat – Try adding 1-2 drops of your lemon essential oil to tea, with some honey, to soothe a scratchy or sore throat.
7. For Coughs, Colds, and Throat or Mouth Infections – add a few drops to a glass of water and gargle. This is known to soothe and help prevent or kill infections.
8. Keep fruit and vegetables fresh – Place washed and chopped fruit and vegetables in water with a few drops of lemon essential oil, and mix around well. Strain and serve immediately, to retain color and not brown, or store until serving.
9. Wash Produce – Put 5-6 drops in a large bowl of water, submerge produce and wash. If you were unable to purchase organic produce, this helps wash you produce clean from any pesticides and herbicides, and also cut the wax that often coats non-organic vegetables.
10. Cold Sores/Fever Blisters – Apply 1 drop topically to help ease the pain and promote healing. Reapply until gone. Be sure to wash hands well after each application.
11. Acne or Greasy Skin – Apply 1 drop to a blemish, or apply some to a cotton ball and go over face. (Test small area for sensitivity first.) The astringent and antiseptic properties help clean and clear skin.
12. Surface Cleaner – Put 5-6 drops in a glass spritzer with water, and use to clean, shine and disinfect surfaces, door knobs, and faucet handles. The fresh scent left behind is a bonus!
13. Wood Furniture Restoration – Add a few drops on a soft cloth with some mineral oil, to prevent furniture wood from drying, and add some natural oil moisture. Try doing a discreet spot first for testing.
14. Hard Floors – add 1/4 cup of white vinegar to a gallon of water for hardwood floor. (Use up to a full cup of vinegar for tile or ceramic floors.). Then add 5 – 10 drops of lemon, pine, or spruce essential oil. If the floor is especially dirty, add several drops of dish washing soap. This will clean even the dirtiest floor.
15. Carpet Cleaning – Add 10–15 drops of lemon essential oil to a gallon of an all natural carpet cleaning recipe or solution to help pull out stains, brighten carpet and rugs, and leave a fresh smell in the room.
16. Carpet Freshener – To make a carpet freshener, add 16-20 drops of the essential oil to 1 cup of baking soda. Mix the ingredients well in a covered container overnight. The next day shake well before using and then sprinkle lightly all over carpets. Let sit for a little bit and then vacuum up.
17. Refrigerator Deodorizer – Place a few drops of lemon essential oil on a cotton ball and put in the refrigerator to help eliminate odors.
18. Dishes – Add a few drops to your sink of soapy dishwater, for extra cleaning power and a lemony fresh dishes.
19. Dishwasher – Add a few drops to your dishwasher for extra cleaning power, and combat water spots.
20. Sinks and Pan Cleaner – A few drops of Lemon essential Oil cleans sinks (bathroom and kitchen!) so beautifully, and get even the dirtiest of pans, so clean, you’ll want to keep going. (That’s what happened to me. )
21. Brighten Laundry Whites – 20-30 drops of Lemon Essential Oil in your wash of whites will do the work of bleach, helping keep your whites, white.
22. Dryer Sheet – Add 3-4 drops on a small clean rag and throw it in with your clothes in the dryer, and they’ll come out smelling as fresh and clean as they are.
23. Leather and Silver – Use a little bit of lemon oil to clean your leather and protect it by adding moisture back into it. Try using a bit on a soft cloth to polish early tarnish on real silver. Spot-test a small area first before applying all over.
24. Lemon Flavoring – Lemon Essential Oil can be used in any recipe to add a hint of lemon flavor or a real lemony zing! Think marinades, salad dressing, cakes, etc. Taste test as you go, as one 1 drop goes a long way!
25. Problem Removal – Use 1–2 drops to remove gum from hair (work in until gum crumbles off), crayon from surfaces, or sticky price tag glue from items.
CLICK HERE to PRINT THIS LIST out for your reference!
It’s important to understand when choosing which essential oils to use, that there are different grades available, and some are at much lower prices.
There’s a reason for that!
While there are lower priced essential oils available in your local health store or grocery store, they are probably fine for cleaning or using in some personal care recipes. But, if you are using lemon essential oil for medicinal uses, internally, or treating an ailment in any way, you want to be using a high quality oil, for real results. And it’s it’s vitally important to be sure to check with the oil company that they are safe to ingest. Essential Oil Safety is very important.
This why I only use the dōTERRA brand, which I trust for the highest of quality and purity. I highly recommend using a Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade oil, such as dōTERRA.
Are you interested in purchasing dōTERRA essential oils at wholesale pricing? >>>> START HERE!
If you have any questions about using essential oils, please feel free to contact me! (Just click the pink email button at the top of the right sidebar.)
– dōTERRA sources their lemons from Italy, to make their lemon essential oil, because they have found that a primary key to superior essential oil quality is the location in which the plant is grown.
– It takes 45 lemons to create ONE 15 ML bottle of dōTERRA Lemon Essential Oil.
Have you tried using Lemon Essential Oil? Please share with us in what ways have you used it to enhance your health or home living!